Montag, 20. April 2015

Skin, skin, skin

 
Liam giving hugs and kisses to his little hand puppet owl from IKEA. He loves when the owl aka mommy talks to him.
 
Everyone with 2 functioning eyes can see that Liam does not look like he has any other race than Caucasian in him. I could hand him to a white couple and they could pull off a perfect family. I don't really see color. No I seriously don't. Not just with my son but with all the people around me. I guess the way I feel about skin color can be compared to the way others look at hair colors. Does that make sense ? But I still kind of thought about it this week and think it is absolutely logical that Liam looks.. well, the way he does. He is 75% German (Caucasian) and only 25% Ugandan (umm.. black). I mean.. duh ! 
Anyways.. I totally drifted off. I was trying to talk about the fact that I always forget to bring sunscreen. Just because nobody in my family ever needed it. I'm not even sure if Liam does. Ha ! He never even showed the slightest sign of a sun burn. He must have some black genes hidden somewhere. I should really remember the sunscreen though ! It's very important considering that for a child that age only one sun burn can raise the chances for skin cancer. For a baby under 12 month every sun burn has to be treated as an emergency. Even with mild symptoms it is recommended to call a doctor. For Children ages 1 and up call your pediatrician if your kid shows symptoms like blisters, a fever or severe pain. Further it is important to know that sun burns cause dehydration. Give your child plenty of fluids (water, pedialyte etc.). Try a light moisturizing lotion to sooth the skin and don't apply any alcohol since it may undercool the skin. It's important to keep the little ones out of the sun entirely until the sun burn has completely healed. With that said let the summer come. Enjoy and be safe mommas and babies !

Bis bald,

Michelle

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen